Let's start with what Cinco de Mayo is not:
It's not Mexico's Independence Day. That's Sept. 16.
It's not a major holiday in Mexico. In fact, it's not even a federal holiday there ... which means offices, banks, and stores remain open on May 5, just like every other day.
So what is Cinco de Mayo then?
Cinco de Mayo — celebrated the fifth of May, of course — celebrates the Mexican army’s unexpected 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. That battle represented a great symbolic victory for Mexico and may well have changed the course of the war. You can read more about it here.
Many Mexican-Americans shake their heads at how Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in Canada and the United States (Tequila shots? Really?), but there's certainly nothing wrong with using the date as a reason to recognize and honour the Mexican culture with some amazing traditional Mexican food.
This year we're going to keep it simple, but still wow our family's tastebuds with these guacamole, pico de gallo, and homemade tortilla chip recipes. These items are pantry staples for most of us, but when you find out how delicious and simple they are to make yourself?
Well, we're here to tell you that you might never buy store-bought again.
These recipes originally appeared in Macaroni Kid EATS.
- 4 avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled. Check out a fun hack HERE on how to easily peel an avocado.
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and use a fork to mash to the desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo Ingredients:
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ red onion, ½ white onion, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sea salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix. Add sea salt to taste and serve fresh!
Homemade tortilla chips
These are wonderful because you can spice them up to your liking or even make them sweet! They are thick and super crunchy - perfect for dipping!
Tortilla chip ingredients:
- Corn tortillas
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Sea salt
- Other spices to your taste (such as chilli powder, cumin, chipotle powder, or taco seasoning)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into quarters and place them onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Lightly brush the tops of each tortilla with olive oil, then sprinkle lightly with sea salt or the spice of your choice.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.